Located in the English Harbour in the Caribbean instead of Antigua, the Antigua Naval dockyard was built by the British Navy in the late 18th and 19th century.
The environment in this part of Antigua, with its deep, narrow bays surrounded by highlands, is such that it was naturally suited to offer refuge from hurricanes to seafaring voyagers and was considered an ideal place for repairing ships.
The dockyard consists of a group of beautiful Georgian-style naval buildings and structures, which are within a walled enclosure. The main aim of the building it was to protect the interests of sugar cane powers in an era when the major European powers were fighting for control of the Eastern Caribbean region. Generations of African slaves, who worked on nearby plantations, were made to work on building the Dockyard.
After 1989, it was abandoned and fell into disrepair. In 1951, the buildings were renovated and the Dockyard was renamed Nelson’s Dockyard, after England’s naval hero Admiral Horatio Nelson who lived there from 1784 to 1787. Today, the place is the venue of a number of sailing and yachting events.