Heading to Goa, you must experience this train journey.
Konkan railway through the tunnel. What a magnificent sight.
Lush, green waterfalls, what beauty!
Non- Goan thinks Goa is having only 3 B’s (Beaches, Bottles and Babes). Below are some interesting facts of Goa to let Non-Goan’s know about real Goa.
Do you know?
- That it is the only state in India, having two official state languages in Goa – Konkani and Marathi.
- That Goa is the smallest state of India having a national highway road span of only 120km North to South and around 80 kms East to West.
- Goa’s official language Konkani is the only Indian language that is written in two scripts, Devanagari and Roman script.
- Goa is the only state where the road transport is named after an old age dynasty called Kadamba.
- That Goa is the second state after Orissa where the world famous Olive Ridley Turtles came to lay their eggs on Morjim Beach.
- It is the only Indian state with an active and enforces uniform Civil Code implemented by the Portuguese.
- If you are a Goan, and if you want, you can avail of Portuguese Nationality Passport.
- The first printing press of Asia was installed in Goa at St. Paul’ s college in 1556.
- The first medical school of India was established in Goa set up in 1842 at Panaji, demolished in 2004.
- That Goa is exporting 60% of India’s Mineral Ore to Japan (which has been stopped recently due to political issues.)
- That Goa is the first state in India to permanently host the international film festival.
- That Goa is the only places where one can hire a two wheeler -taxi called “pilots”.
- That Goa’ s only airport is the military airport of the Navy.
- That the one and only one Naval Aviation Museum of Asia is located at Vasco in Goa.
- That India has only two temples dedicated to the Brahma of the Hindu Trinity. One is in Rajasthan and the other in Goa. 17.17 kms from Valpoi in the village of Carambolim Brahma temple.
- Mumbai owes its daily bread to Goa more precisely, to migrant bakers from Saligao and Siolim who bought with them the blessed Pao to Mumbai.
- Goa, even though is the smallest state in India has the highest bank saving deposit.
- That Asia’s only floating casino is launched in Goa’s coastal waters at Panaji harbour known as “Caravela”.
- That India’s largest laterite stone carving of St. Mirabai is at ancestral Goa at Loutolim village.
- That Goa is the only state of India having the highest forest destiny cover of 33% of total land mass.
- The first English medium high school in Goa was established in 1896 at St. Joseph’s high school, Arpora.
- Goa is the first state in India wherein one can register car, bike or other vehicle online from the dealers directly which started since June 2006, and one need not go to RTO office for registration.
And most amazing part is that the petrol is cheaper than diesel in Goa with highest per capita income after Chandigarh and 2nd in literacy rate…
Keeping aside the beauty and the blessings…